Sunday, October 16, 2005

Seriously...

I cannot even begin to describe how much I hate the song/music video of "Something To Be Proud Of" by Montgomery Gentry. I've run across it twice this weekend while flipping through channels, and to be honest, I watched it all the way through, but my disgust for it built throughout my experience with it.

First off, on purely asthetic grounds alone, the video is the worst piece of crap I have ever seen. It's these two guys in a f*cking desert, or plateau, or WTF, I don't know. And one tall guy wears a duster and a cowboy hat, while the feminine one plays guitar and looks like a reject from a Matchbox20 band. Ok, so they're in a desert (which is computer generated so it looks horrible already) and then images of the stuff they're singing about are flashing on screen. And this f*cking F16 keeps flying over through the entire thing, along with a GT) that drives across. THAT'S THE ENTIRE THING. They filmed it on a green screen and then used the computer animation of the 90's to make them seem, I dunno, badass? How about CRAP.

I know who they're aiming the song towards. It's basically listing all these things where guys have had shitty lives, because 1.) They were in the army 2.) Didn't go to college and had to work bad jobs because of a lack of education PURELY BY THEIR OWN CHOICE BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE BADASSES. F*cking GTO.

Anyways, the chorus goes like this:

"That's something to be proud of:
"That's a life you can hang your hat on.
"You don't need to make a million:
"Just be thankful to be workin'.
"If you're doing what you're able
"An' putting food there on the table,
"And providing for the family that you love:
"That's something to be proud of.

Granted, it's a nice sentiment. But I can see this becoming an anthem for people who have no motivation in life.

"I haven't done anything worthwhile, but dammit, I put food on the table. Give me another beer."

Anyways, get ready for your redneck neighbor to be singing this with his buddies at the bar. Loudly. That's something to be proud of.

-ed

No comments: