Saturday, April 16, 2005

Wow.

There are two records that I have played enough to know every single note and nuance of, and they are "Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse, and "Ghosts of the Great Highway" by Sun Kil Moon.

I went to see Mark Kozelek (of Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon) this Friday night, not expecting much because his last performance in Nashville (that I also went to) was pretty disasterous. But how does he start off his show this time? With a cover of "Truckers Atlas" by Modest Mouse. I was floored. He played a quick cover of "Dramamine" from MM's "This is a long drive for someone who has nothing to think about," last year, but nothing prepared me for the beauty and sadness that Kozelek brought to Issac Brock's lyrics this year. Then, after he changed guitars, he started with the "Dramamine Cover" and since I was the only one who cheered, I'm hoping I was not the only one in the crowd who knew what was being played. Finally, he played "Convenient Parking," and turned it into something entirely different and amazing. I can only hope that one day Kozelek decides to release a record of Modest Mouse covers, like he did with AC/DC, highlighting the lyrical genius of Brock with Kozelek's beautiful guitar playing. This would be my ulitmate mash-up record. Please Mark, do it.

-ed

No comments: