Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Random Thoughts Time...

In all sitcoms, why do people always bust in through the back door that leads to the kitchen? When in real life do people come into your house through the kitchen door? And it always leads to the carport and backyard when they go outside...does that seem odd to anyone else? Did the option of using the conventional front door just not enter their minds? WHY??

So this lady at work I thought was fat, turns out she was pregnant. This isn't the first time this has happened to me.

When did our radio stars cease to be musical innovators? I'm betting on the late 70's, early 80's. Besides, let's say Nirvana and Radiohead, has anyone done anything of merit in the past decade that's been commercially succesful? I mean, though I don't always like them, Pink Floyd were amazing musicians. Led Zepplin? U2? Geez, even Dire Straits. Can you name a group of solo artist that garnered tons or radio play that you were like "Man, that guy can play" No? Me neither. My generation's radio stars are about as adventurous as bingo night in the retirement home. And that is something very sad. We are glorifying stars who incresingly rely on vocal talents instead of true musicianship, and those talents should be called into great question due to advances in the studio (I should know). Not that musical innovation is totally absent from the world, it's just that those who are pushing the envelope are not getting the respect they deserve while today's kids are being given music of the lowest common demoninator.

Best Investment I've made this summer - the one pound bag of sunflower seeds. Best $2 I've ever spent.

Why are all my recent songs sounding like Songs For A Blue Guitar - era Red House Painters? Oh yeah, that's cause it's all I've been listening to.


Ok, here are the songs that made up the 1st ever Belmont Hockey game pre-game drive mixtape. Wow.

"Bille Jean" - Michael Jackson
"Theme From Shaft" - Issac Hayes
"Don't Stop Believing" - Journey
"Get Your Hands Off My Woman" - The Darkness
"Enter Sandman" - Metallica
"Fat Bottomed Girls" - Queen
"Carry On My Wayward Son" - Kansas
"Jenny Says" - Cowboy Mouth
"Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangster" - I really don't know...the mp3 I had says the Eels...but I doubt that.
"All Falls Down" - Kanye West
"Firestarter" - Prodigy
"One More Time" - Daft Punk
"Staring at the Sun" - TV On The Radio (this song makes every mix I've made this year, regardless of format.)

Guess which one got the most groans? Yup, Daft Punk.

Till we meet again.

(and no I haven't forgotten about my worst list, give it time)

No comments: