Saturday, April 24, 2004

I Don't Understand "Texas" Music

Really, I just don't get it. It's nothing special. I have seen both Jerry Jeff Walker and Robert Earl Keen, the monsters of Texas Music, and I have left both shows very unimpressed.

Perhaps it wasn't the right venue. I saw JJW at the San Antonio Rodeo, complete with amazingly cheesy revolving stage, and I saw REK at Vanderbilt's Rites of Spring, with the place in a decidedly damp mood after the afternoon's downpour of rain.

Maybe both are past their prime. These guys are old. REK looked like he could have cared less about the show. JJW just looked half dead.

Perhaps it was the uninspiring music. I think that unless you now every word by heart, these shows aren't fun. Like I said about REK; he didn't look very happy to be there. That doesn't translate well for the audience. At least the guy on before him, Matt Wertz, gave it his all.

Anyways, give me Two Tons of Steel anyday for my Americana fix.

Au Revoir.

No comments: